I attended session of Bijoy Singhal on Design for Windows Phone Developer. I captured some of the points from that session as below
IT has been moved from office to home and in between ;
- Smartphone is not a tiny desktop
- Phone usage pattern different from desktop
- You don’t want to create app that wont be used after 1st time
- As a developer start putting effort in design
- Good design = ease of use + experience (functionality, useful,delightful )
- Good design is personal
- Good design is differential between two apps
- Metro : Content over Chrome
- Metro : Navigation
- Metro : Lite & Simple Tiles
- Metro : Typography
- Metro design is large extent inspired by transportation industry
- Metro is not just about putting square boxes , it is about performance also
- Metro discourage to use buttons
- In Windows Phone you do not exit from any random page
- Shrinking everything does not make better app
- Chrome is not information but the beauty aspect of the application.
- all the font in Windows Phone are SIGO font
- Motion in Windows Phone design : Turnstile ,Contriumm, Swivel, slide
- Tilt effect to show response to user.
I attended session of Pinal Dave and Vinod Kumar on SQL Misconceptions. Few of points from that session is as following
- SET ROWCOUNT and TOP and OrderBy is not same.
- Set RowCount , Top and OrdetBy gives different execution plan
- Misconception is Cluster Index gives the result out in Order. It sort and gives result
- Seems due to parallelism Cluster Index does not gives result in order
- Cluster Index assure u sorted result only if you are explicitly using order by in the query
- Precision of small DateTime 31 sec rounded to next minute and 29 sec gets truncated to orevious minute
- As of textbook cluster index physically store the data.
- Cluster Index does not store in physical order
- Go 10 will run 10 times
- In simple recovery model your transaction log is as big as longest transaction run in the system.
I hope this quick post is useful. Thanks for reading.
- Kaizen-to make better , continuous improvement from the lean manufacturing movement at Toyota
- Kaizen is the way to self-criticized your work then group work
- The agile manifesto is statement of values.
- we value individuals and their view first over processes
- Agile is about values not rules and rigid adherence process
- Agile is about embracing change
- Agile Methods XP [Past], SCRUM [Present] , Kanban [future] .
- Kanban focus on visualization and raw materials
- Kanban is Japanese word for "signal card" .Kaizen promotes continuous improvement
- Kanban is about flow. Communication is about flow. Change is built into model .
- In Kanban organize a queue. Limit Work in Progress (WIP) for each queue. There is no Sprints.
Core Practices in KanBan
- Define and visualize the workflow
- Limit work in progress
- Measure and Manage flow
- Make Process Policies Explicit
- Use Models to suggest improvement
Building Kanban Process
- Define a Process Flow
- Identify queues
- Visualize it on board
- Set your first work in progress limits
- First time you may have to guess
- Break down each item to about the same size
- Pull the first items through the system
- Define how long it takes to pull an item through the system
- Establish a delivery cadence
- Establish regular meetings/reviews
- Constantly improve your process
- Daily meeting facing the board to evaluate your flow
- Continue to tweak the WIP limits and queue
- Formalize the improvement process
I hope this quick post is useful to you. Thanks for reading.