- This is an IIS web site configured in SharePoint to provide content or services such as workflow. Excel calculation service etc.
- This works on Http Handler like ASP.Net 2.0
- This allows for logical separation of SharePoint content. Each web app runs under a different process on the IIS web server.
- These were the Virtual server in WSS 2.0.
- Each Web Application can have their, own domain name and IP address.
- Examples of different Web Application are, central administration site which run on arbitrary port number and SharePoint site which runs on port number 80.
- At the time of creating one Web Application, one Content database is also getting created.
- This is collection of site inside a web application.
- All sub sites inside a site collection having same global configuration setting, like Admin , recycle bin, theme ,permission etc.
- Each Site Collection has one Top level web site.
- A site collection uses a single content database.
Site or Web
As of MSDN
A SharePoint site is a place for collaboration, communication, or content storage. Depending on your business needs, you can create sites such as team sites, blog sites, wiki sites, and others. You can customize a site’s appearance, users, user permissions, galleries, and site administration by using the Site Settings administration pages.
is a collection of pages, lists and related settings.
- It is where, all bulk ok action takes place.
- As programmer view this object is getting interacted most
- These lives underneath a site collection.
- Global settings are applied on Site from the Site Collection.
- There are many types of sites template available like Help Desk Template, WIKI template etc.
SharePoint Server Farm
In the context of SharePoint, the term ‘farm’ is used to describe a collection of one or more SharePoint servers and one or more SQL servers that come together to provide a set of basic SharePoint services bound together by a single Configuration Database in SQL.
- This is collection of one or more server.
- One Server Farm has only single Configuration database.
- In a farm there are many services which run on one server or all.
- All the services which are running on a Server Farm are running on all web application in that particular Server Farm.
- Server Farm provides Load balancing, scalability and fault tolerance.
- In Server Farm, multiple servers appear as a single resource.
A set of files that includes a master XML configuration file that is stored on all front-end Web servers. A site definition provides the basic blueprint for how sites look, what lists they include, their default navigational structures, and so on.
- These consist of series of files which define components like lists, features, master pages etc.
- These contain many configurations, which get interfaced by site template.
- All Site Templates are based on the site definitions.
- These are stored in \\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\12\TEMPLATE directory.
- These used the File System.
A package containing a set of differences and changes from a base site definition that is created through the UI or through implementation of the object model. The site template package is stored as a .cab-based file that can be downloaded or uploaded to site collections by users with the appropriate rights. Site templates offer a measure of portability to SharePoint applications.
- This is not a site definition
- It is used to refer one of the configuration in the site definition
- These are stored in database as .stp file.